The 5 Highest-Paying Jobs Right Out of College
So now that you've finished school and proudly hold a college degree, it is time to find that killer job. Due to the lingering effects of the recession and the erratic stock market, 2010 has been an exceptionally tough year on both recent college grads and experienced job-seekers. But talented candidates who interview well and have the right skills still are finding employment.
Read on to find what are the five highest-paying jobs for recent college grads.
Five of the Best Paying Jobs Out of College
- Financial analyst. The bear stock market has softened demand in the financial services sector, but earning potential remains high. Median hourly wages for personal financial advisors was $37.67 in 2008, while financial analysts earned median hourly wages of $41.65. Degree path: Business, economics, mathematics.
- Software Developer. Good developers are like a good cup of coffee -- every employer wants one. Software developers with the right skill set can quickly earn annual salaries that can set them on the path to financial freedom. Computer software engineers who worked with operating systems earned average annual salaries of $93,470 in 2009, while those who worked in applications earned more than $87,000 annually. Degree path: Computer science, computer information systems.
- Actuary. Actuaries analyze financial risk. Nearly two-thirds of actuaries work in the insurance industry. Actuaries earned median annual wages of $87,210 in 2009. Degree path: Mathematics, finance, business.
- Engineer. Depending on your area of expertise, you can expect average median annual salaries of $108,910 for petroleum engineers, to $96,910 for nuclear engineers, to nearly $70,000 for agricultural engineers. Nearly every field of engineering, from chemical engineering, to mineral and geological engineering, to electronics and communications engineering, also recent college graduates very.
Degree path: Engineering (with a specialty emphasis).
- Network Administrator (a.ka. Sys Admin). Keeping a company's computer systems running smoothly pays well. Network systems administrators earned median salaries of $67,710 in 2009. Degree path: Computer science, information science.
Other high-paying jobs out of college include:
- Internet marketing
- Pharmaceutical sales
- Web design