Penn State Wins Award for Online GIS Degree
Penn State has poured a lot of effort into their online effort; as a result their World Campus is probably among the top five online education programs among the country's top traditional universities. Recently online education foundation The Sloan Consortium recognized the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Master of Geographic Information Systems program delivered through the World Campus as the 2009 Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program.
A generation ago a college's earth sciences or mineral sciences program was usually about mining. Today Penn State is offering an information technology degree through that department that trains professionals in the field of geographic information systems - GIS. There is more to GIS that GPS, apparently, as the description of the profession extends well beyond mapping out street grids.
"GIS professionals use computer technologies to visualize, analyze and display data. They work in local government, environmental engineering and resource management, utilities, transportation planning, emergency management and homeland security, and many other fields."
Certainly the weather systems today that utilize Doppler radar and computer generated projections qualify as an important GIS service. The program offers a certificate in GIS studies to post graduate students, and has a complete master's degree in information systems program dedicated to the field. Penn State opened its online GIS certificate program in 1999 and today offers 26 courses for certification and degree purposes.
"To date, there have been nearly 9,000 online enrollments by students from every state and many countries in the combined Master of GIS and Postbaccalaureate Certificates in GIS and Geospatial Intelligence. The department has awarded nearly 1,300 GIS certificates and 55 Master of GIS degrees."
This program illustrates the speed with which online learning technology is progressing. The packaged interface designs now available for online teaching include the technology to assemble videotaped lectures with multimedia presentations for presentation purposes. The ability for students to share a discussion with an instructor or professor about such a complex and graphic academic topic as geographic information systems shows that the virtual classroom has come a long way from a one-dimensional, one way communication format.
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies More...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey.From Application to Graduation, the Guidance You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
- BA in Criminal Justice/Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- BA in Business Administration Accounting
- AA in Psychology More...
Saint Leo University is a Catholic, liberal arts-based university serving people of all faiths.
- BA in Psychology - General Studies
- Master of Science in Instructional Design
- Master of Science in Psychology More...
Utica College, founded in 1946, is a comprehensive private institution located in upstate central New York. The College offers regionally accredited online certificates, bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees in healthcare, cybersecurity, financial crime, nursing, physical therapy, business, criminal justice, and data science. All courses are taught by credentialed, highly experienced faculty with significant and ongoing accomplishments in their respective fields.
- BS in Criminal Justice General
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- Cybersecurity Technologies Certificate More...
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
- MBA - General
- MBA - Marketing More...
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences.
- M.S. in Psychology (online)
The University of Scranton has grounded its education in Catholic and Jesuit principles based on intellectual growth and integrity, all of which shape the online master’s and certificate programs. You can choose one of five degree programs from a selective institution ranked among the top 10 master’s universities in the North by U.S. News & World Report.
- Master of Accountancy
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Health Informatics More...
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education More...
About Georgetown University
Georgetown University is a private, not-for-profit, accredited university located in Washington, DC. Founded in 1789 by John Carroll, Georgetown is America's oldest Catholic and Jesuit University. Today, Georgetown is a major international research university. It has nine schools, an affiliated hospital and many highly-ranked graduate programs.Georgetown University Online
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management More...