Five Federal Grants for College Students
While student aid is definitely competitive, there are a great many resources out there if you're just beginning your post-secondary education. Almost every college, university, or trade school offering online classes and degrees has a financial aid office or student aid website. Students often give up on aid or turn to loans before exploring all their options for grants. Grants may have conditions for receiving awards, but do not require repayment. And while they won't entirely pay for your education, they can take a dent out of your costs for books and other fees.
Here are five Federal grants available for students of higher learning:
1. Teach Grant Program. This is the newest grant program, created by Congress' College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. Students who enroll in undergraduate or graduate-level teacher training programs and who are committed to classroom teaching can receive $4,000 a year in grants toward tuition. You must commit to teach for four academic years in a elementary or secondary school serving low-income students to qualify.
2. Federal Pell Grant. This is a jumpstart grant to students beginning undergrad work for the first time. Grants for 2008 are approximately $4,731 a year and are based on economic needs and education costs.
3. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. The FSEOG is for students with extreme financial need. Lowest income students get first priority for these $100 and $4,000 a year grants.
4. Academic Competitiveness Grant. The AC Grant is a relatively new grant, created to supplement Pell grantees based on their academic aptitude or accomplishment. First-year students receive $750 in addition to the Pell Grant; second-year students with at least a 3.0 grade average can receive up to an additional $1,300 a year.
5. A National SMART Grant. Third and fourth-year students who qualify for a Pell Grant and have at least a 3.0 grade point average are eligible to apply for an additional $4,000 a year. To qualify, you must be majoring in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, technology, or in a foreign language determined by the federal government to be critical to national security.
HISTORICALLY AMERICAN. UNIQUELY CARIBBEAN. GLOBALLY INTERACTIVE.
- Bachelor of Arts - Accounting
- Bachelor of Science - Electronics Engineering Technology
- Associate of Science - Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology More...
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online) More...
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN) More...
Located in Fairfax, Virginia, George Mason University is the largest public research university in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Master of Science in Data Analytics Engineering
- Master of Education in Special Education, specializing in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Business Administration: Business Analytics Specialization More...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies More...
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S.- Health Sciences (Pharmacy Technician) More...
At Kansas State University’s Polytechnic Campus, we turn belief into action. When you dig deeper than theory and classroom learning, you produce capable, forward-thinking leaders ready to solve global problems. You will learn by doing, whether through hands-on projects, research, internships or competitions.
- Technology Management
- Cyber Security-Grad certificate
- Professional Master of Technology
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park.
- MBA - Information Systems & Business Analytics
- MBA - General
- MBA - Marketing More...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Legal Studies - Homeland Security (Master of Science) - Online
- Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online
- Dual Concentration: Performance Enhancement, Wellness Coaching (Master of Science) - Online More...