The Three-Year Plan: Getting More Bang For Your College Buck
Between a downturned economy and the rising costs of college, everyone's looking for a way to cut their spending and minimize debt. For some students, that means putting college dreams on hold for a while while they work to save money; for other students, it's the other way around. The average student takes a whopping six years to complete a "four year" bachelor degree at a public university, yet according to Associated Press, an emerging trend is to cut that time in half.
Nina Xue, one student interviewed, managed in three years' time to earn a double-bachelor degree in French and History, while still finding time for extracurricular activities like cheerleading. She states that, for her, a three-year degree wasn't the original plan but saving on finances was a great deciding factor once she discovered that previous AP course credits had made it an option. "I didn't think it was worth it to pay another $40,000 to play with my friends for another year, cheer for a year, and write a thesis," she says. "Making my parents pay for another year of school would not have been fair." Now, instead of struggling through senior year in undergrad, she is already looking ahead to law school. Meanwhile Charles Jacobson, another student interviewed, relied not on AP courses from high school but on careful planning. "Halfway through my freshman year, I had all my courses planned out," he says.
When it comes to professors' and professionals' opinions on an accelerated college experience, the jury is still out. According to the article, Senator Lamar Alexander, a former education secretary and college president, praised three-year degree programs as "the higher-education equivalent of a fuel efficient car" at the annual American Council of Education meeting this past February. Some critics, however, warn that if done too hastily, "shaving the fourth year off college could limit a student's social experience and provide a narrower education."
After all, it isn't an easy endeavor completing a bachelor degree in three years: it takes a clear vision and a single-minded dedication. Many online colleges are starting to offer special accelerated programs promising degrees in less time, but with traditional schools, this kind of success often lies in planning that dates back to high school, racking up extra credits with AP courses and summer school sessions at community college. That said, it can be done and many students are aiming to save thousands of dollars on tuition costs by making it a reality.
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online) More...
- Nurse Educator (PGC)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Nursing Informatics (RN to MSN) More...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies More...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - International Business More...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics More...
A Saint Xavier University education is one that is grounded in the tradition of liberal arts. SXU offers graduate and post-graduate programs that are recognized and respected by employers and delivered by professional faculty who are experts in their fields.
- Nurse Educator Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing - Clinical Leadership
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Educator More...
Winthrop University is a public, comprehensive university located just outside of Charlotte, North Carolina, in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Strategic Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Sports Marketing & Revenue Generation More...
About Georgetown University
Georgetown University is a private, not-for-profit, accredited university located in Washington, DC. Founded in 1789 by John Carroll, Georgetown is America's oldest Catholic and Jesuit University. Today, Georgetown is a major international research university. It has nine schools, an affiliated hospital and many highly-ranked graduate programs.Georgetown University Online
- Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Real Estate
- Masters of Professional Studies in Technology Management More...
Saint Leo University is a Catholic, liberal arts-based university serving people of all faiths.
- BA in Psychology - General Studies
- Master of Science in Instructional Design
- Master of Science in Psychology More...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- MS - Data Analytics
- Bachelors in Business Management
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting More...