What are Psychology Major Requirements?
A bachelors' degree in psychology incorporates a substantial number of core courses, as do all baccalaureate programs. Those courses are meant to provide the student with education in disparate fields that result in a widened perspective of the world.
The State University of New York (SUNY) campuses require 124 semester hours, or credits, for graduation. That's an average of 15.5 credits per semester. Of those, 54 are devoted to general education requirements that include English, math, a foreign language, American history, a social science, an earth science (such as biology), and a field devoted to other cultures such as anthropology.
Forty semester hours must be devoted to the psychology program requirements. These classes focus on the history of psychology, cognitive behavioral theory, possibly anatomy, clinical practices, specialties in the field such as child psychology, and so forth.
Thirty credits are allocated to elective courses. These can include areas of personal interest such as art history, or they can be extensions of your psychology study in disciplines such as sociology.
Capella University offers an accredited online psychology degree that includes 45 quarter credits with at least six credits from each of four categories: communication, humanities, natural science, mathematics, and social science. Most classes are six credit courses.
An additional 21 quarter credits should be drawn from these divisions - some of which can be core courses for the major, such as Introduction to Psychology or English. There are nine courses devoted to the psychology major, and an additional two courses that are psychology electives. A "Capstone Project" is the final requirement at Capella.
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology More...
- M.S. in Psychology - General Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology - Crisis Management & Response
- M.S. in Psychology - Leadership Development and Coaching More...
- Psychology (BA)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology More...
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey.From Application to Graduation, the Guidance You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
- AA in Psychology
- BA in Psychology Developmental Psychology
- BA in Psychology More...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
- Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences.
- M.S. in Psychology (online)